Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The Difficult Truth About Dentures

Most dentists who have been in practice any length of time have probably made quite a few complete sets of dentures. These occur often in cases when patients go in with old sets that need to be replaced. There are also cases in which the patients go in to see a dentist with their teeth in such bad condition that there is literally no other affordable option. However, sometimes young people may go into a dentist's office with numerous teeth that have what they believe are non-repairable cavities, or they may not like the appearance of their teeth because they are crooked. They assume that dentures will be a simple way to correct all their problems.

Many of these people have avoided going to the dentist because they are afraid of what the dentist will think, or afraid of what will happen to them once they get there. Let me try, in this article, to clear up a few important points.

Your Fear of the Dentist
Any fear you have of going to the dentist, and the pain you may experience while being worked on is completely out of proportion to the actual discomfort you will feel while you are there.

Modern dentistry is designed to care for you in such a way that you will feel very little pain at all during your visits. In fact, your dentist can even give the very anxious patient medicine to take just before their appointment time, to help them relax, so that even their fears are lessoned.

Full Dentures Should be Your Last Resort
You cannot even imagine how disappointed you may be with full dentures. You do not naturally lose your teeth when you get old. With a little care, anyone can keep their teeth all their life! Having full dentures is not at all like having real teeth. People with them can barely chew their food. Most people can put just an average of 15% of the pressure on their false teeth as they normally used to chew their food with, before they lose the suction that keeps the top denture in their mouth. The lower ones have no suction at all and they just sit there by virtue of their own weight, and the ability of the tongue to help them stay in place. Many people find lower dentures so cumbersome that even if the top ones are reasonably successful, they do not wear the lowers except when they go out in public.

Nearly the instant the natural teeth are removed, the face begins to age rapidly. When your new dentures are inserted for the first time, your facial appearance remains the same, for the time being, however within a very short amount of time, the bone that held your original natural teeth begins the process of resorption, literally disappearing, which begins the process of collapsing your facial structure.

Wearing dentures rapidly accelerates the aging progression of your face because the distance between your nose and your chin begins to diminish as soon as the natural teeth are removed. The bone that used to hold your top natural teeth begins to draw back up toward your nose, and the bone that held the lower natural teeth "goes south", allowing both the top and bottom false teeth to ride with them in the same directions. Within just the first few months, your face has aged several years. As a result, the denture teeth ultimately begin to disappear under your lips while the lips themselves begin to flatten out. This process continues for the rest of your life, as you will always appear much older than you actually are. The rapid aging usually has a profound effect on the emotional well-being of the patient, and can unfortunately affect their ability to gain employment and be socially active.

Dentures Must be Refitted Every Two Years
Approximately every two years you must go back to your dentist to have your dentures relined. What this means is that new plastic must be added to the inside of your existing denture in order to fill in the spaces between the denture and your gums left have been left vacant by the receding bone. Relines do not actually restore vertical dimension, but they do help keep the denture fitting tight and stable. If you fail to reline the denture regularly the consequences will not be good. As the bone continues to recede and more and more space becomes vacant inside the denture, most people will begin wearing some type of stiff denture adhesive to maintain the denture stability in their mouths. They tend not to notice that the teeth move around more and more while they are chewing their food. When a denture retains suction, but begins to move around over the bony ridge that supports it, dentists say that the denture has good retention, however it lacks stability. When the hard denture base is in close approximation to the bone that supports it, the denture has maximum stability, but as the distance increases, no matter what type of substance you put under it, the teeth become less and less secure and are much more easily dislodged when chewing food.

People just try to live with this worsening condition and they plan to get new dentures, someday, when the difficulty becomes so serious that they can not eat properly at all. However, if they have waited over two years to refit their denture, something very unfortunate begins to happen to the tissue that supports the denture. Nature begins to actually create more gums between the bone and the denture to take up the slack. At first this sounds good, but the gum tissue that nature builds after the real teeth are gone is soft and flabby. You can compare it to a layer of play dough. Of course, play dough will adhere to a wall, and it has some retention values, however it won't support any weight and it certainly has no stability. That is just like the loose new gum tissue that forms under an ill fitting denture, it will not support a new stable denture.

If your dentist attempts to fit a new denture over a growth of this flabby tissue, it will have the same stability problems that the old one did unless you first go to an oral surgeon to have the tissue removed before your denture is made.

If you get to the point when you are needing to use more than just a touch of denture adhesive to retain your denture, then you are due for a reline. Do not try to fit something under your denture to make up for the gap as a makeshift "denture liner". Using anything other than actual denture adhesive is a bad idea because the denture breath gets pretty sour very quickly.

The Gag Reflex
If you have a strong gag reflex, and avoid going to the dentist because of this, be assured that your dentures will cause you to gag too. Perhaps the saddest group of patients that dentists must try to treat are those who hate their dentists because they tend to gag when anyone, especially the dentists, put something in their mouths. These patients have the idea firmly in their minds that they will just wait until their teeth get so bad that a dentist will just have to put them to sleep, remove all their teeth and they will wake up with dentures and live happily ever after.

Certainly, you can wait that long to see a dentist. And, although it is very costly, you can have all of your teeth extracted at once, while under general anesthesia and have an immediate denture placed. However, I am not too certain about the "happily ever after" part. Gaggers tend to go without their dentures quite a bit, because the very presence of the denture in their mouths makes them feel like throwing up all the time. They begin to avoid accepting invitations to eat out, and will wear their dentures only when it is absolutely necessary. The only real hope these patients have is if they can someday afford full mouth implants.

Are There Affordable Alternatives to having all the Teeth Removed?
The missing teeth and teeth that are beyond repair can be replaced without extracting the remaining good teeth. They can be replaced using removable partial dentures. Partial dentures are much more comfortable and secure than full dentures. They do not have to cover the entire roof of your mouth for stability because they are kept secure by the remaining natural teeth. Even the existence of a few natural teeth remaining on either side of the dental arch can make it feasible to wear a partial denture as an alternative to full dentures. The presence of any number of real teeth can greatly reduce, although not completely eliminate, the hastened aging process related to having full dentures.

Having said all of this, there certainly always will be some patients who truly do need to have all their teeth removed. For them, we will be posting an article describing the different types of dentures, and the steps involved in making them.

Visit this website for more information www.Top3dentists.com

Health

17 comments:

  1. RIESdenturesHi my name is tammy I have 3 kids I am a certified nursing asstance is also a cna I have been 1 for 12 years 3 years ago me and my 2 year old son was hit by a mini van while in a cross walk broke my sons arm and I lost most of my teeth the laddy that hit us was 75 she had no insurance and no green card she got a tickt for no insurance and im left with ownly 1 tooth on top AND FOUR ON THE BOTTOM BECOUSE OF THIS NO ONE WILL HIRE ME I look like an ex drug attic and I have never done drugs in my lifeexept of what the doctore gives me I have bad credit and no insurance and have been surching for a dentist to help me I can pay small payments a month but there is no one out there is willy to help im not asking for free work I can pay small payments becouse of my teeth I cant eat I havnt smiled in a long time this has made me so depressed I dont no what to do I have sent emails to over 300 dentistes in the past year if I can get dentures I can get a job I think im giving up I have tried and tride now I just pray to god he would send some one my way I home school my kids becouse of my deprestion and the pain in my gums its made it real hard we havnt had a exmass for my kids in about 2 years after we pay rent we have 400 left to pay bills thats why its so important for me to get dentures so I can work im not asking for a hand out just a little help thank you  (6 min ago | post #1)

    EditQ & A WITH TAMMY1966

    (13 questions remaining) 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck
      I Just got mines hope things get better Tammy

      Delete
  2. Disagree with most of the information provided here. I got my upper set of dentures in my 30's. it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. Not only am I more confident, I am no longer in pain. I have never, not one time in 11 years gone back to the dentist that made my dentures. I eat ANYTHING I want. I got my bottom denture about a year ago and am equally happy with it. I had to laugh when you said people with dentures will always look older than they are, as people are always shocked when I tell them my true age. They always assume I am 5-10 years YOUNGER than I actually am. The only reason I didn't get dentures earlier was because I had a dentist who loved lining his pockets with my hard earned money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its really very good information about health. Every person has to take care of their health by following some health tips.
    You can also follow Daily Health Tips for more tips., they are providing all types of tips for our health and beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dentist says I have to get my remaining 5 top teeth pulled and get upper dentures. My upper teeth are mostly fillings. Two large fillings fell out and they refuse to re-fill them because it would break the teeth next to them. I have been dreading this, and after reading your article, I NOW FEEL LIKE KILLING MYSELF. You took away any hope I had at all for life going on as normal after I got dentures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah this article is absolutely depressing for anyone having to get dentures. I actually just had 5 top teeth pulled a couple weeks ago and got an immediate denture. I'm not liking it really at all but I'm not healed yet but i can eat pretty well already. My mom had to have hers pulled at 23 when i was a baby and I've never really noticed and she does not look old and she actually has the same ones like 30 something years later which isn't good and she's finally getting new ones but that says something about this article. I wonder who wrote it. I just keep looking up articles statistics and stuff about it because i still don't like it. They fit fine and i can eat it just still makes me a little depressed. Not like i can get my teeth back. I think this article is bullshit though and wonder who wrote it.

      Delete
    2. I'm thinking of getting dentures also and I'm scared to death!!! This article definitely didn't help but I have two infections in my mouth as we speak and I cant take this pain any longer..I'd rather be dead! I won't let one article bring me down I'm just scared of the process in between pulling my teeth and however ling it takes to heal I don't want to walk around toothless for months and I heard it can take 6-8 weeks to get fitted after removal...now that's depressing..if anyone has ANY advice plz do....

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. Laura LeahApril 9, 2017 at 2:02 AM
      I just recently had all my top teeth extracted and all but 7 on the bottom. I had no choice and i regret not doing it sooner. Do not let this one article deter you! You can get fitted for immediate dentures before you have your teeth extracted and they can give them to you the day they pull them so you don't have to go toothless while healing. Most dentists will have you wait at least 6 months, and then do new impressions for your permanent dentures. It's a rough process, I'm not saying it's easy. Pain-wise it was a breeze. The learning to eat with them part is the hardest, but each day gets better and better for me. If you have facebook, there is a support group called 'Dentures young/old support'. The people on there have helped me SO much along this journey. I encourage you to join and talk to some of the members. For most people, this was the best decision they've ever made. It's a good feeling not to have to go through the pain of toothaches and being able to share your smile with the world!

      Delete
  5. This is fearmongering at its finest, and I'm quite honestly disgusted.

    I had a severe Strep infection that required the removal of my tonsils. It was so serious and unusual, I was asked to sign a waiver so my doctor could use my case in a peer-reviewed article about the danger of overtreating recurrent Strep with antibiotics. My Strep infection became antibiotic-resistant. After the tonsils were removed, the infection found its way into an opening in my gums, via a hole where my wisdom tooth was coming in. Long (LONG) story short, because this is such an unusual occurrence, it went undetected for 18 years. No dentist could find the root cause of my gum infections, or explain why my previously perfect teeth were breaking and disintegrating. When a dentist did finally figure out what was going on, my teeth were already destroyed. I'd lived with bouts of mind-numbing pain for weeks at a time over the course on those 18 years. My stomach was a mess from all the Ibuprofen I'd taken to make it through work days. I was at a point at which I couldn't imagine things ever getting better. I could eat about six things, in total. My dentist told me dentures were my only immediate option.

    I would have that surgery again tomorrow without a second thought. It has changed my life, and despite what this post attempts to convince readers of, the change was 100% positive. I can eat anything I want. My stomach is fully healed. I used to have constant sinus infections, sore throats, ear infections connected to the constant infection in my gums. I haven't had any of these since the surgery. I smile constantly and receive compliments on my teeth all the time. And looking older? I've had three people I went to high school with discreetly ask me if I had cosmetic surgery or Botox. I've had my full dentures for two years, and they've yet to need refitting or "fixing" of any sort.

    The "difficult truth" about dentures is this: any procedure such as this can go wrong if you don't have a great dentist, don't' take care of yourself post-surgery, or if you don't follow doctor's advice for healing. Also, there is a transition period while you're getting used to your new teeth. It's not terrible, and if you're suffering as I was before surgery, the recovery will seem like a breeze compared to your life before the procedure. I promise I cannot count the number of times I've wished I'd done this sooner.

    Living with infected teeth/gums is exceedingly dangerous. It's not uncommon for the infection to spread and impact other parts of the body. If you're in a situation in which you need to consider dentures, please discount the yellow journalism of this article. I'm livid that anyone would post something that might scare people into endangering themselves.

    Do your research, find the best dentist in your area, and take care of yourself after surgery. I want to be fully honest, so please know in the transition and healing period, there will be some swelling, a little post-op bleeding, and you'll spend a week or so relearning to pronounce words. You will be very aware that you have dentures in your mouth for a few days; I completely forget about mine now. And DO YOUR RESEARCH on denture fixatives; try lots of different kinds until you find the one that works best for you. They are not all equal in performance, taste, seal, etc. I prefer zinc free, but that's a personal preference. Pain should be minimal, and if it's not, see your dentist. Also, I went back to work five days after surgery. I teach middle school, so I speak for hours straight, and had very little trouble doing so. And remember this, if anyone is likely to tell you you "look weird" or "talk funny" it's middle school kiddos! Mine never said a word, and I'd bet 99% of them had no idea I'd had anything done. God bless and good luck to all who read this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The author of this post has lost his license due to malpractice. See article at link. https://www.google.com/amp/www.delmartimes.net/sddmt-legal-problems-continue-to-mount-for-local-dentist-2010apr01-story,amp.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. The author of this post has lost his license due to malpractice. See article at link. https://www.google.com/amp/www.delmartimes.net/sddmt-legal-problems-continue-to-mount-for-local-dentist-2010apr01-story,amp.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! If you were considering dentures, as I am forced with no other option, despite a lifetime of expenses to try preventing this very thing.....I might as well just off myself now as dentures will be of no benefit. This is the worst fear-Mingo ring article I have EVER read! Can you honestly tell me you couldn’t come up with a SINGLE benefit to getting dentures?! I’m simply disgusted by this article!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This article, while well written, does not represent the experiences of the majority of denture patients. Dental technology has advanced a lot over even the past decade, there are lots of types of dentures and remember...every patient is different. I have an autoimmune disorder that has caused oral bone loss, and I just discovered on Monday that I will have to have all my remaining teeth pulled. I won’t be as susceptible to infections, and after a learning curve and period of adjustment, I’ll be able to eat most foods again, which will help me live a lot healthier life. I’ve been eating cakes and ice cream and other soft foods for over a year. I had beautiful teeth until about 8 years ago when the bone loss became evident. I took very good care of my teeth, but even a bone transplant to help support an implant post won’t help because the autoimmune will eat away at my bone anyway.

    I am more depressed about my rotten-toothed smile than anything else. I am a singer and minister, only 40 years young, and I’m ready to do whatever is necessary to reclaim my oral health. I’ve gotten second and third opinions and they all agree that dentures will help restore my smile, my health and my confidence.

    The toughest thing happened to me recently. Two colleagues of mine share my first name. Someone at work referred to me as “the Robert with the bad teeth.” This is the straw that broke the camel’s back for me, I’m a good looking guy but people make an assumption that I’m somehow stupid or nasty when they see my teeth. I’m suffering...so don’t mistake my dental downfall as mental, social or physical weakness!

    My dear sweet grandma has had full dentures since she was 26, and she’s still healthy at 91. This article may hold some elements of truth or fact, but it is very specific about things that no one can predict when every patient is different.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Actually I am appreciative of the frankness of the article. While these things do not happen to all people they happen to many. I am one of them. Had someone sat me down and told me of this possibility I would have fought much harder to keep my teeth. I regret losing them every single day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I admire what you have done here. I like the part where you say you are doing this to give back but I would assume by all the comments that this is working for you as well. Invisalign Kettering

    ReplyDelete